Is Norfolk Island Pine toxic?
Araucaria heterophylla is thought to be mildly toxic to cats and dogs. It is capable of causing vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and drowsiness if ingested by our furry companions. The mechanism by which the Norfolk Island Pine can cause these adverse symptoms is unknown and therefore its toxicity level is somewhat disputed. With this in mind, it is best to play it safe and keep this lovely tree in a space that is out of reach from our four-legged friends. For some humans, the leaves of the Norfolk Island Pine can cause mild skin irritation upon contact. And if ingested by humans this tree can cause gastrointestinal disturbances including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. So stick with arugula and don't munch on this majestic houseplant.
What is the ideal temperature?
The Norfolk pine thrives in temperatures between 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit (10 to 15.6 degrees Celsius). As this plant cannot survive long periods of extreme cold, it is very important to avoid keeping the Norfolk Island Pine near any air conditioning vents or windows where cold drafts come through. Extreme heat should also be avoided as severe heat will cause the plant leaves to sag.
What is the ideal humidity level?
Believe it or not, the Norfolk Island pine is actually a tropical plant and prefers a humid environment. If you live in a dry climate, simply mist with a spray bottle regularly (approximately once or twice weekly) or place a humidifier nearby to increase humidity. Another method to increase humidity is to place the plant’s pot on a saucer filled with pebbles and some water. Be sure to avoid submerging the drain hole in the water in order to avoid waterlogging the plants’ roots. Maintaining humidity is most important during the winter season.
Does it purify air?
The answer here is a resounding yes! The Norfolk Island Pine has been proven to remove harmful particles, also known as volatile organic compounds or VOCs, from the surrounding air. So not only does this plant bring a beautiful pop of green color to your home, but it also makes the air you breathe that much more fresh and clean!